How to Choose a Nursing Home
When your parent, grandparent, friend or family member becomes unable to care for him or herself, you may consider an assisted-living facility. Nursing homes can be warm, caring places offering exceptional service and supervision. On the other hand, less-than-suitable facilities can be dangerous because of neglectful or abusive employees providing sub-standard care. If someone you love has been the victim of elder abuse or neglect, contact Florida nursing home abuse lawyers immediately to pursue legal action.
When visiting assisted-living facilities, give thought to the following factors:
- Level of care. Does your loved one require around-the-clock care or is he or she more independent? Examine the resources and level of care each nursing home offers and match it up against your loved one’s needs.
- Cleanliness. Does the place look, smell and feel clean?
- Location. Pick a location close to friends and family.
- Safety measures. The nursing home should have proper railings, chairs, handles and other safety equipment to prevent falls and injuries. The facility should be secured from the public.
- Examine data. Look at the facility’s records regarding its health inspection data, staffing and quality measures as reported by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. To look up nursing homes in your area, go to medicare.gov and click on the “nursing home compare” tool.
- Living conditions. Make sure residents have suitable living conditions where they can keep personal belongings and furniture.
- Staff. Is the staff warm and friendly? Is there an adequate staff-to-resident ratio? Observe the interactions between nurses, technicians, doctors and residents to get a feel for the culture of the facility. Make sure the home performs thorough background checks on all employees.
Depending on your loved one’s need, you may choose a different type of care. Some alternatives to nursing homes Fort Myers elder abuse attorneys recommend include:
- Adult day care
- Home care
- Senior centers
- Subsidized senior housing
- Meal programs
- Assistance with shopping and transportation
- Assistance with legal and financial matters
The law office of Viles & Beckman, LLC staunchly advocates for the rights of senior citizens who have been neglected, abused or mistreated in nursing homes. Contact our firm if your loved one has suffered abuse.