Knowledgeable Fort Myers Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
Motorcycles can be dangerous but that doesn’t mean you don’t have a right to ride one. In fact, bikers generally have the same rights on the road as car drivers and those rights deserve vigorous protection.
Unfortunately, automobile drivers don’t always give motorcycles the respect they’re due. That leads to accidents, serious injuries, and even the loss of life. Most motorcycle accidents in Florida happen when negligent drivers put bikers in dangerous positions. This page will take a closer look at some of those causes and the risky behaviors behind them.
Fort Myers Motorcycle Injury Claim
Anyone who has suffered an injury in a Florida motorcycle accident should know that they may be able to recover a significant financial settlement or jury award pursuant to Florida personal injury law. Likewise, family members may be able to recover compensation after a loved one loses his or her life in a terrible traffic accident — an all-too-common outcome in motorcycle collisions.
The experienced Fort Myers motorcycle accident attorneys at Viles & Beckman, LLC can fight to recover the whole amount that you’re owed. We believe in taking a compassionate approach toward our clients and an aggressive approach toward the insurance companies on the other side.
We’d like to help you. Please don’t hesitate to contact the experienced Florida motorcycle accident attorneys at Viles & Beckman, LLC today and call us at (239) 334-3933.
Florida Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Motorcycle crashes are surprisingly common in Florida. In fact, they’re on the rise. The Tampa Tribune recently reported that motorcycle accident deaths have risen in 14 of the last 15 years on record. Other states have seen an increase too. That’s despite an overall decline in other kinds of traffic deaths. Jonathan Adkins, deputy director of the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA), cited motorcycle safety as “the one area where we haven’t made progress.”
Consider these troubling Florida motorcycle accident statistics:
- Florida ranks third in the nation for motorcycle deaths.
- For every mile traveled, Florida bikers have a 30% higher chance of being killed than car drivers.
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), compared to car drivers, motorcyclists are 16 times more likely to be killed in a traffic accident.
- 80% of the motorcycle accidents in Florida result in serious injury or death.
- Wearing a helmet while driving a motorcycle reduces the risk of death by 30%. Florida does not require a helmet in most cases.
- Approximately 50% of all motorcycle accidents in Florida occur on the weekends.
- A different study shows that motorcycle injuries have increased by 50% during the last decade, while motorcycle deaths have increased by 90%.
- 60% of motorcycle accidents in Florida are caused by driver negligence. Of these accidents, distracted driving is the most common kind of negligence.
Common Types of Fort Myers Motorcycle Accidents
One common type of motorcycle accident is the head-on collision where the front of a motorcycle collides with the front of another motor-vehicle that is traveling in the opposite direction. Motorcyclists can fall victim to drivers that swerve into the next lane over of oncoming traffic. This can happen because of distraction, drunk driving, or fatigue. Head-on collisions are possibly the most destructive since the motorcyclist is usually hit directly by the vehicle and takes the full force and trauma of the high-speed vehicle.
Lane Splitting Accidents
Many motorcyclists engage in an illegal maneuver known as lane splitting. This maneuver involves a motorcyclist taking advantage of the small gap between vehicles in parallel lanes to drive between them to beat traffic. Many drivers fail to see motorcyclists even when they are properly driving in the lane so motorcyclists in this space they are not supposed to be in can get hit when vehicles switch lanes.
Left-Hand Turn Accidents
Visibility, or lack thereof, is often one of the key factors at play in many motorcycle accidents. This is especially true in the case of left-hand turn accidents. These accidents consist of a driver’s failure to yield to motorcycles that have the right of way when they make a left turn.
The Most Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Florida
Contrary to the popular myth, most motorcycle accidents are caused by car drivers, not by the bikers themselves.
Bad driver behaviors that contribute to motorcycle accidents in Florida include:
- Texting while driving
- Driving while sleepy
- Reckless driving
- Following too closely
- Misjudging the speed of a motorcycle
- Failing to check blind spots before turning or changing lanes
- Treating motorcycles like “second-class vehicles”
- Cutting off motorcycles
- Driving while intoxicated
- Opening parked car doors directly into the path of an oncoming motorcycle
- Forgetting to look for motorcycles before making sudden changes on the road
Of course, drivers aren’t the only ones to blame. Local governments, construction and maintenance crews, and motorcycle manufacturers may also be to blame. At Viles & Beckman, LLC, our experienced Fort Myers motorcycle accident lawyers can bring in outside experts to comprehensively investigate your accident and identify all of the responsible parties.
Common Motorcycle Injuries in Florida
Motorcycle injuries may include:
- Fractured or broken bones
- Skin burns
- Soft tissue injuries
- Internal organ damage / internal bleeding
- Spinal cord damage
- Vision or hearing loss
- Stroke or cardiac event secondary to impact
- Amputation/loss of limb
Our experienced Fort Myers motorcycle accident attorneys can help with these and any other injuries or financial losses related to your motorcycle crash.
Compensation may be available for any of the following:
- Doctor’s bills
- Hospital bills
- Psychological and/or physical therapy
- Emotional distress
- Cosmetic procedures
- Property damage
- Damage to your motorcycle
- Time away from work
- Future loss of income
- Diminished quality of life
- Out-of-pocket expenses related to the crash
- Burial and funeral expenses (in the event of wrongful death)
- Loss of companionship and support (in the event of wrongful death)
Free Consultation with Our Fort Myers Injury Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed on a motorcycle, you deserve compensation for the terrible losses you’ve endured. No one should pay the price for someone else’s careless driving or reckless behavior.
Unfortunately, negligent drivers and their insurance companies are reliably reluctant to pay you the total value of your claim. We can help with that. With more than 40 years of combined legal experience, our talented Fort Myers motorcycle accident lawyers have helped many people just like you recover the compensation they deserve.
For professional, aggressive representation in your motorcycle accident claim, please call Viles & Beckman, LLC. Just dial (239) 334-3933 or contact our experienced lawyers online to schedule your free consultation.
About the Author of this Page: The above information was written or reviewed by one of the attorneys at Viles & Beckman LLC who have a combined experience of nearly 60 years: Marcus Viles, Michael Beckman or Maria Alaimo. The information provided in this article comes from years of experience trying legal cases outside and inside courtrooms throughout Florida along with extensive research.