A scooter accident attorney in Florida can help you greatly if you suffer a scooter accident. Scooters are trending in Fort Myers. And that is the reason why scooter accidents have spiked in recent years. A scooter can be an excellent transportation option for many people, but when the driver is inexperienced, all sorts of accidents and injuries can happen.
Regarding accidents, “scooter” refers to motorized vehicles widely used on public streets that can travel up to 30 mph. Unfortunately, these motorized scooters can cause severe injuries to pedestrians and other road occupants, but a Viles & Beckman personal injury lawyer can help you recover compensation.
Fort Myers Scooter Accident Guide
Your scooter accident attorney can help if you were the victim of a scooter accident in Fort Myers, Florida. Still, there are many things you need to consider before pursuing compensation for damages. For instance, some actions you can take right after an accident can compromise your right to file a claim.
These are our legal team recommendations for victims of a scooter accident in Fort Myers:
- Call emergency services. Even though motorized scooters usually do not surpass 30 mph, they still can cause severe injuries to victims. If you were hit by a scooter in Fort Myers, calling 911 can help you heal and protect your right to pursue damages.
- Gather evidence at the accident site. If you can move around after a scooter accident, you can use your cell phone to take pictures or videos of the accident, the scooter, your injuries, and any other relevant aspect, such as a pedestrian crosswalk or a hole in the sidewalk.
- Collect contact information. You can also ask for eyewitnesses and the liable party’s contact information. That will later help your Fort Myers scooter lawyer to interview key witnesses and send citations to the responsible parties.
- Talk to your legal representative. If you suffer a scooter accident, the liable party’s insurance company may intervene, but remember their main interest is to close your case with the smallest possible compensation. That’s why immediately hiring an attorney can prevent you from a bad settlement.
For a free legal consultation with a scooter accident lawyer serving Fort Myers, call (239) 334-3933
Scooter Accident Laws in Fort Myers
Due to increased motorized scooter accidents, Florida has specific laws and regulations for these vehicles. These are some key points about riding a motorized scooter in Florida.
- Definition of Motorized Scooters. Since there are many different types of vehicles in Florida, it is important to determine if the vehicle that hit you is considered a scooter. For instance, Under Florida law, a scooter is any motorized vehicle without a seat or saddle with no more than three wheels capable of propelling at 30 mph max.
- Driver’s license requirements. Drivers must be at least 16 years of age to operate a motorized scooter on public roads and have a valid driver’s license.
- Safety equipment. A motorized scooter must have a headlight, taillight, and brake light, and drivers should use a bicycle helmet while riding it.
- Rules of operation. Scooters drivers must ride as close to the right lane as possible, and avoid high-speed roads and highways, particularly when no bike lane is available. Scooter drives should also obey transit rules and traffic lights.
- Sidewalk riding. Motorized scooters are usually not allowed to operate on sidewalks. However, local ordinances can allow them to use a pedestrian way under certain conditions.
- Impaired scooter riding. It is illegal to operate a motorized scooter under the influence of alcohol or drugs. And scooter operators can be subject to the same penalties and consequences as car drivers for DUI.
Fort Myers Scooter Accident Lawyer Near Me (239) 334-3933
How Much Is My Scooter Accident Case Worth in Fort Myers?
A Fort Myers scooter accident can cause many types of damage. But your attorney needs to review your case to determine its worth. Still, most scooter accident claims are for compensatory damages, which means economic and non-economic damages.
In cases where extreme negligence is present, it is also possible to recover punitive damages. But that is a decision only a jury or judge can make, so there is no way to know how much punitive damages are worth.
The most common compensatory damages in scooter accidents include:
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation therapy
- Drug therapy
- Lost wages
- Damage to property
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Common Injuries in Fort Myers Scooter Accidents
Pedestrians and scooter riders are often the main victims of scooter accidents. Some of the most common injuries in Fort Myers scooter accidents are:
- Broken bones. Scooter accident victims may suffer fractures, particularly in arms, wrists, ankles, or fingers.
- Head injuries. Scooter accidents can devastate a victim, even at low speeds, since they can cause severe damage, such as traumatic brain injury.
- Road rash. Falling from a scooter or being hit by one can cause a victim to hit the ground and suffer road rash and abrasions, which occurs when the skin scrapes against the road or other rough surfaces.
- Cuts and lacerations. Scooters can cause a variety of cuts and bruises because of the hard materials they usually are made of. These injuries affect muscles, ligaments, and tendons and cause pain and limited mobility.
- Spinal cord injuries. Most severe scooter accidents can throw a victim a few meters and expose them to greater damage, such as a spinal cord injury, which can cause temporary or permanent paralysis and affect a victim’s life and earning capacity.
- Facial Injuries. Scooter accidents can also cause facial injuries, including fractures, lacerations, and dental injuries, which can have severe physical and emotional consequences on someone’s life.
However, there are many ways someone can get hurt by a negligent scooter driver. Talking to an experienced attorney can help you determine the impact of your injury and what damages you can pursue.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Talk to a Fort Myers Scooter Accident Lawyer
If you were the victim of a scooter accident in Fort Myers, there are many things you need to consider. But the most important recommendation is to get a legal representative as soon as possible. The main reason is your attorney can build a strong case for your damages while you recover from injuries at home.
Viles & Beckman law experts are ready to protect your rights and fight for the compensation you deserve after a scooter accident. Contact our Florida offices today and schedule a free consultation where we can discuss your legal options and help you recover compensation for your damages.