Crosswalk & Sidewalk Accidents
Experienced Fort Myers Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
Crosswalks and sidewalks exist precisely because pedestrians face tremendous danger when they encounter high-speed vehicles. By keeping fast-moving traffic on the roadway and pedestrians on the sidewalk, highway engineers hope to keep those of us traveling on foot safe from harm.
Unfortunately, pedestrians are often injured in the very places designed to keep them safe. Crosswalk and sidewalk accidents are alarmingly common and the injuries are frequently severe.
As Fort Myers pedestrian accident lawyers, we understand the unique dangers posed by crosswalks and sidewalks — not only for foot pedestrians but also for cyclists and other sidewalk or crosswalk travelers. Moreover, we understand the many unique legal challenges that these cases can pose.
This page is designed to explore many of those issues in detail. At Viles & Beckman, LLC we want accident victims and their families to know that they have an experienced advocate on their side.
We are dedicated to taking on the negligent motorists and property owners who cause these accidents and the insurance companies that are legally responsible for paying for the damages. Our attorneys aggressively pursue each client’s legal rights with the unwavering goal of maximizing their compensation and recovering every penny possible on their behalf.
We would like to bring that same passion and zeal to your case. Please contact us at (239) 334-3933 to schedule a free case evaluation right away.
Why Crosswalk Accidents Happen
Most crosswalk accidents occur because of a motorist’s failure to yield the right of way. Too often, drivers zoom through crosswalks without realizing it or without caring to slow down and look before entering. That is unacceptable and it leads to needless tragedy.
Crosswalks exist because society realizes that pedestrians need special protection when walking across a dangerous intersection or roadway. Drivers violating that special protection can be held accountable under the law and their victims are entitled to economic reimbursement for the full value of their suffering.
Common causes of crosswalk accidents include:
- Texting while driving
- Other kinds of distracted driving
- Running red lights
- Running stop signs
- Attempting to “beat” a yellow light
- Negligently passing other vehicles near a crosswalk
- Making a turn without looking carefully first
- Failure to check blind spots (particularly problematic with Fort Myers commercial trucking accidents)
- Reckless driving
- Intoxication (DUI/DWI)
Why Sidewalk Accidents Happen
The causes of sidewalk injuries are more varied. Some involve reckless drivers. Others happen when bicycles and pedestrians collide. Many, though, don’t involve other vehicles at all.
While most people do not think of sidewalks as inherently dangerous places, the truth is that innocent pedestrians suffer injuries on Florida’s sidewalks nearly every day. Slips, trips, falls, and other hazards can cause real hardship — and most of these accidents happen because of someone else’s negligence.
Common causes of pedestrian sidewalk accidents include:
- Reckless driving
- Dangerous construction projects
- Protruding pipes, bolts, cables, etc.
- Large cracks caused by tree roots
- Slippery accumulation of ice or snow
- Unstable sidewalk surfaces that cave under pressure
- Hazards that have been negligently left on the sidewalk
- Lack of warning signs for hazards
- Large spills, puddles, or pools of liquid
- Negligent engineering or construction of the sidewalks
- Violations of building codes or other regulations
- Motorbikes or other smaller vehicles using sidewalks when they shouldn’t
- Deficient sidewalk patches or repair work
Who Can Be Sued for Sidewalk Accidents?
Any person or business that creates a dangerous sidewalk condition can be held liable for their negligence. This is true for both public and private sidewalks, though special rules may apply when governments are involved.
Common defendants in sidewalk injury litigation include:
- Vehicle drivers
- Local, state, or federal governments
- Corporate property owners
- Homeowners responsible for dangerous conditions on sidewalks near their property
- Contractors and subcontractors responsible for negligent construction or maintenance
Common Injuries in Crosswalk & Sidewalk Accidents
The injuries in crosswalk and sidewalk accidents are typically quite severe.
They may include:
- Broken bones
- Fractured bones
- Severe bruising and lacerations
- Back injuries
- Herniated discs
- Spinal cord injuries
- Vision or hearing loss
- Other eye injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Internal organ damage
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Soft tissue damage
Talk to the Fort Myers Pedestrian Accident Lawyers at Viles & Beckman, LLC
Crosswalk and sidewalk accidents lead to serious injuries and even death. If you or someone you love has been injured or killed while crossing the street or using a sidewalk, you may be entitled to considerable financial compensation under the law. We would like to help.
Our law firm assists pedestrian, bicycle, and premises liability victims all around Fort Myers, Florida. That includes Naples, Cape Coral, Bonita Springs, and the rest of Southwest Florida and the Sunshine State.
Please contact us online or call (239) 334-3933 to schedule a free case evaluation with our Fort Myers pedestrian accident lawyers today.