Car accidents are common in North Fort Myers and can have devastating consequences for all involved. Injured victims often face medical bills, property damage, and ongoing pain and suffering. If someone else caused your injuries, you need a North Fort Myers car accident lawyer on your side.
An attorney from Viles & Beckman could protect your rights, negotiate with insurance companies, and fight for you in court if your case doesn’t settle before trial. If you find yourself in need of legal assistance following a car accident, one of our personal injury lawyers in North Fort Myers is ready to pursue the maximum compensation available in your case.
Call or text us today to schedule a free consultation.
Available Compensation in a North Fort Myers Car Accident Case
When you’re navigating the aftermath of a car accident in North Fort Myers, it helps to understand the potential damages in a Florida case. These damages encompass a range of losses and expenses you may be eligible to seek compensation for, depending on the circumstances of your accident.
In Florida motor vehicle collision cases, damages often include:
- Medical expenses: This category covers the cost of medical treatments, ambulance services, hospitalization, surgeries, prescription medications, and necessary ongoing care.
- Lost wages: If the accident leads to your inability to work, you may qualify for compensation for the income you’ve lost during your recovery period. The lost income category can include both current and future earnings.
- Property damage: Damage to your vehicle and personal belongings, such as electronics or clothing, may be recoverable. The at-fault party’s insurance company should cover the repair or replacement costs of your damaged items.
- Pain and suffering: You can also pursue non-economic damages. These encompass the emotional and physical distress experienced as a result of the collision, such as pain, mental anguish, and diminished quality of life.
- Loss of consortium: If the accident significantly affects your relationship, your spouse may seek compensation for the loss of companionship and support that you provided before the crash.
- Punitive damages: In cases involving intentional wrongdoing or extreme negligence, the court may award punitive damages to punish the at-fault party and discourage similar behavior.
- Wrongful death damages: If the accident results in the loss of a loved one, surviving family members may seek compensation for funeral and burial expenses, loss of financial support, and emotional suffering.
Navigating an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit can be challenging, but understanding the available damages is the first step toward securing fair compensation. A car accident attorney from Viles & Beckman can evaluate your case and work toward securing an appropriate settlement or court award.
For a free legal consultation with a car accident lawyer serving North Fort Myers, call (239) 334-3933
Can I Sue for Car Accident Injuries in Florida?
Florida operates under a no-fault system, requiring all motor vehicle operators to carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. PIP coverage addresses accident-related injuries, but it has its limitations. The maximum benefit it provides is $10,000, which often falls short of the full scope of injury-related expenses and non-economic damages like pain and suffering.
However, Florida’s Motor Vehicle No-Fault Law does allow for legal action to seek financial compensation in cases where injuries are deemed serious. The law defines serious injuries as those that result in permanent injuries, disfigurement, scarring, or loss of bodily functions.
Common examples of injuries that fall into this category include:
- Back and neck injuries: The sudden impact of a collision can lead to permanent damage to the discs in the neck or back, potentially necessitating surgeries and other medical treatments.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs): Motor vehicle collisions are a significant cause of TBIs, which can result in permanent cognitive and physical disabilities.
- Broken bones: Fractures and breaks are common in car accidents. They can lead to pain, surgery, and the need for physical therapy.
- Burns: In cases where a crash leads to a fire or explosion, individuals involved may suffer severe burns. These burns can result in scarring, disfigurement, and pain and often require extensive and prolonged medical treatments.
- Lost limbs: In catastrophic accidents, a person’s arms or legs may be completely severed or crushed so severely that amputation is necessary.
- Spinal cord damage: Spinal cord injuries can lead to paralysis and loss of sensation and often result in permanent disability.
If you have sustained serious injuries in a car accident, pursuing a lawsuit may be the only way to secure enough compensation to cover ongoing medical costs, lost income, pain, suffering, and other losses.
An experienced Fort Myers car accident lawyer can assess the circumstances of your accident and determine your eligibility for such a lawsuit.
North Fort Myers Car Accident Lawyer Near Me (239) 334-3933
Time Limit for Filing a Personal Injury Claim
Understanding the Florida statute of limitations for personal injury claims is crucial if you’ve been injured due to negligence and wish to take legal action. As of 2023, the time limit for filing a personal injury claim is two years from the date of the incident. However, exceptions may apply, depending on the circumstances of your case.
Failing to meet the statute of limitations can result in your claim being time-barred, depriving you of the opportunity to seek compensation for your accident-related expenses, lost wages, and the pain and suffering you’ve endured.
Also, the sooner you reach out to an attorney, the sooner you can recover the compensation you need to move forward.
Contact a Car Accident Lawyer in North Fort Myers, FL
Experiencing a car accident means physical pain, emotional distress, and financial strain. You shouldn’t have to pay the price for an accident someone else caused. At Viles & Beckman, we’re here to help you recover the settlement or court award you deserve. We’ve been in business since 1995 and have more than 40 years of combined experience.
One of our Fort Myers auto accident lawyers could fight for your rights and hold the responsible party accountable. Let us handle the legal intricacies, from investigating the accident to building and presenting a strong case on your behalf.
Contact us today for a free, no-obligation consultation.